Thursday, February 27, 2014

Have you ever?

Have you ever just looked at someone & thought to yourself something negative about them? Okay come on... Let's be honest, every single one of us has. The homeless person that is always at McDonalds asking for change... The lady working at Hooters... The old man working at the gas station... We have all made assumptions of these people... But have we ever given them the chance?

There is a song by Luke Bryan called 'You Don't Know Jack'. My music was on shuffle today & this song came up. I never skip a Luke Bryan song first of all, but for some reason this song hit me hard today. It is one of those days where I just decided to think about it. I like these days because they make me realize new things, open my eyes...

So anyways... The song. Basically it talks about Luke judging someone from the outside... Not realizing how they got to where they are. The title of the song has 2 meanings behind it. One being the phrase 'you don't know jack!' Like you don't know anything. & The other meaning behind it is you don't know Jack...Daniels.
"He asked me for a dollar... I said go get a job. I turned up my collar & started walkin' off. He said I don't blame you... I know what you think. I'll just spend your money to but another drink. But you don't know jack."

First off I want to say thank you to my father. Because without him.. I would not be the caring & giving person I am today. Unless I am in a situation that could be potentially dangerous, I will always help someone in need.

I will never forget the time that my dad decided to give money to a homeless man... Now- remember that I have my dads entire personality. So when we watch that guy go across the street & buy booze with it... I could feel it start to hit a nerve with me. But you know what my dad said?
"So be it... If that is what puts a smile on his face at night & helps him sleep... I am happy for him."
Believe it or not... This wasn't even sarcasm. This was the truth. My dad was genuinely happy that the man could get what keeps him alive. It made me see things totally different. Because honestly I the man did nothing wrong.. He didn't lie. He asked for some cash so my dad handed him some. It was fair.
Anther time that I will never forget- We went to McDonald's for a bathroom break on a vacation or something. My dad was inside. A man asked if my dad could buy him a breakfast sandwich for himself... There was one of those specials going on the 2 for 3 dollars or something & when the man ordered he told the casher he only wanted one sandwich (because that is what he had told my dad). My dad of course said no- it is one more dollar, please get what you would like. So the man did.

My dad is truly the most genuine man I have ever met in my life. He is constantly putting people before him & I could to thank him more for being the role model he has been for me.

All in all- I wanted to write about this because... I want to show myself the other side. I want to show myself that there is more than meets the eye.

Today- Show a random act of kindness. Make someone else's day. Hell, if you can... Make this entire life! What is stopping you?



No comments:

Post a Comment